söndag 27 april 2014

One of those days


After a day sick on Friday I was surprised to feel much better on Saturday morning- so with no time to waste I met up with peka at the garage
 he was already there - rebuilding his BBQ


The first thing peka told me when I came in was that he had flipped the front mount, just as I had thought to do and written on my last blog post ! So it was now in -
cool!

I then set about the steering pin install, so I started to ream the front beam steering pin bushes,
First I used the tool from Rainier, I gave it a few passes but the pin still would nt slide right up and in?

So Peka lent me his calipers and we measured the pin and then while he looked for his reamer, I looked for the ones I had, turns out I had an adjustable one left by my brother when he had to do his on his slamdamaticbarndoor - Anyway I adjusted this up and gave it a pass, got to say it didn't feel so good, soon I found out that I had taken a bit too much off, now the pin fits but not as snug as i would have liked, not too bad either, Will see how this feels when its greased up and fully assembled.

So after cleaning up the tools, I headed to the back end of the bus to carry on installing the rear suspension parts, Happy with thr axles, so now I looked at fitting the spring plates and maybe even getting the axles bolted to them, however it was soon apparent that things were not lining up like they should do, The rear cradle mounts on the gearbox were out, and so I very carefully tightened up and  bolted up what I could, being carefull of the order in which doing so, but soon I realized that the rear mount was out, at first i thought simply to adapt the mount but after leaving the garage and giving it more thought and a little looking into on the net I came to the conclusion that the nose cone mount could be better....

 

 Its something left from Dicks set up (former owner), so I called Dick and asked him a few questions, and he told me that he did a lot of swearing when he was installing the rear parts, I didn't tell him that I have replaced it all, not the right thing to say after that comment : ) He also said he had found the old rear window glass, nice! and that i had better go by his some time to pick up the stuff.

 This whole re work of the back end all started when I realized his set up had issues with tire clearance to spring plate and the fact that the old spring plates are "old school" cut up originals that I didnt fancy rolling on, his set up was linked with a bus boys type set up using spacers and short axles and early type 3 hubs, all this was not really ideal for me and it was of course none adjustable meaning wheel removal would be a hassle to say the least, so it wasn't a too difficult decision to sort it out....

The result is the replacing everything, but of course up until now not the nose cone mount !!! yep it looks like I need a different mount too, id over looked this and just thought that it would work seems the one I have from Dicks set up pushes out the box,  it could be a reason why the frame horn bolts had been stripped a bit? 
 
I have now looked around and seen one that should work from ....T2D
 it looks as though it will draw the whole gearbox 10- 15 mm nearer the front of the bus - this would mean all the other bolts line up where they should in relation, instead of pushing the box back in the bus as it is now - sorted, I hope.

So I need to call Paul in the morning and see what he says? and if he can get a gearbox nose cone mount shipped out to me ASAP, a good time to check in on the whereabouts of my front wheel bearings too.


not lined up...

new t2d spring plates

Other stuff that's been happening, Victor just came by with his super nice fasty... got me thinking about air jackers




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar