tisdag 29 april 2014

Nose cones

So why was my gearbox being pushed back? after a little detective work, it seems that with any early bus, ie before 59 that issues can arise with the front nose cone and mounting bracket for this area when installing a later gearbox.

check out the difference in these diagrams

below is early type (pre 1959/60 or up to chassis number 469505

 below is the later from chassis number 469506

It was pretty easy to find an adapter / front mount, this is what I found first from Type 2 detectives.

 "Heavy duty solid front gearbox mount for pre 1960 bus" link here

66.00

Then I found this from buttys bits

28.00
But although both of these mounts seem thinner then my set up just now, they still have issues with pushing out the box a bit, plus these are hard mounted meaning - possible vibration and for sure all that gearbox whirring will be passed through the nose cone and into the rear frame of the bus...

also whats going to happen when lining up the shift rod? issues I can see arising there too...

I kept looking around,  checking out the standard mounts and differences and searching forums for similar problems, I found some and sussed out that replacing what I have with a hard mount like those above was infact going to be a step in the wrong direction for our bus build.

and then I came across the following two mounts which is what I was looking for, the first I had seen before but couldn't remember where ... maybe in a past issue of Volksworld magazine.

Wagenwest in the USA of course !

 I also came across this one from Concept 1 in Canada


So the Wagenwest answer to the problem is the one I went for, the description says it all and because I have just had a brand new nose cone fitted, so do not really need to be buy another modified version (as in the concept 1 solution) .

If I had seen the concept 1 solution before I had the gearbox overhauled I probably would have chosen it -  I managed to ordered this via wagenwest website very quickly this morning before work - looking forward to it receiving it and getting on with the install.



Wagen west´s discription :

"Pre 59 bus nose cone adapter kit"

"This kit makes it so you can install a tunnel case transmission into your early bus, 1959 and down.
This adapter will not push your transmission back, like the other adapters on the market !!!!!!!!
Made with Polyurethane to help insulate the transmission from the bus, this helps keep the noise down in the cab and cargo area.
Kit comes with one Wagenswest lollipop mount and retainer plate.
This Lollipop is a simple solution to an age old problem.
Your type II nose cone will need to be trimmed to fit, like the photo in this add  "


This does leave bit of a dilemma for me though - what do I do with the bus while I wait for it to come here?

 I think I need to get the bus off the ramp as its stuck there until I can get the rear and front suspension on and I don't want to hog peka´s car ramp....
two options as I see it,  Take my wheel Dolley´s over and see if I can sit the bus on these, then at least we can move the bus from the ramp and Peka can use it, also it might mean that peka can get the shell into the paint booth ?

or take away the front mount now and install the box, axle arms, spring plates etc and loosly fit everything just for transpotation around the work shop, maybe I can wedge the front nose cone into place, or use the set up I have now but not bolted up?

Find out on Thursday which is when I can next get over to the bus.

1 kommentar:

  1. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-410155--start-120--index.html

    SvaraRadera