måndag 29 juni 2015

Brakes, steering boxes, books, food trucks and finding more sponsors for Bussfest!

Brakes!

So I began looking how to go about the installation of the dual circuit brake servo -
I got mine from the talented and very helpful VW Jim - UK along with a bunch of fitting parts who I can totally recommend.  here is a link to Jims very handy site and his own "how too"  VW JIM

Once fitted and set up this vacuum assisted servo should provide much more power assistance to the brakes.

First I need to find a place to fit the servo, I was thinking about how the hoses and hard brake lines connect, I found the area suggested in Jims how to to be perfect, just behind the beam on the passenger side - I test fitted as I was a little worried that the drill holes would end up in some awkward place in the locker area under the seat, but I was lucky and everything looked ok.

Finding a suitable place and then marking the positioning.
 


 Then removed the mounting bracket and marked where the bolts will go through the floor.

 Then dot punched                                                    and drilled.



 After drilling out to the size, I painted the bare metal with some black paint.
 All thats needed now is an extra pair of hands to tighten the nuts, bolts and washers.

I then moved on to looking at the steering box, to do this I needed to fit the parcel tray which goes under the dash, the old self tapped welded nuts were missing so I have used some nylock nuts and washers on the back side, after a bit of fiddling I had the shelf in place.

 Then I tipped the bus on its side and slid in the steering box, loosely fitted in place to see how it lines up, it was a little over to the left of the dash pod, but I think I can adjust this and center it by sliding the steering box in the bracket on the under side.
 Looked good, so then I removed the box again and dismantled it, cleaned out the dirt and sand which had accumulated using petrol, made up a shaft with a piece of sponge to clean the inside of the shaft.
 checked the inner shaft, bearings and cup are all new.
 clean inside, then greased it a little using the same make shift cleaning rod.
 Then I took apart the box, cleaned everything in petrol and slightly sanded the mating surfaces, after this I re-greased the bearings and re installed the lot.
 cleaned up the worm gear
 All good, new bushes and seal
 Looked on the net about whats best to pack the box with, going to go with gerbox 90 grade oil once I have the new gaskets.
 Here you can see the metal shims, I have 4 but 3 are broken, looking for new ones at the moment.
I also digged into the wiring loom box and found the horn wire and installed this too, ready - the loom guy had made things nice and easy by carefully and thoughtfully labeling all the wires ; )



This week me and the boys went into town to grab a bite to eat at lunch, we headed straight for the food truck that was parked in the town square and what would you know! our book was there on display


 

 Also this week its been full force getting the last parts to the sponsoring of this year bussfest  in Båstad, Ive been busy ringing around and sending out emails trying to get some more sponsors for this years VW bus meet.

So far this year we have sponsors form VW Sweden, custom and speed parts-Sweden, The local VW dealer - michelsensbil.se, long time sponsor of tires - gusonibromma.se, and of course us -vwcampercookbook










Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar